I finished my dino, with plenty of time to spare before Christmas. ;D
In other exciting news, I am teaching one of my suitemates how to crochet! She’s really good at it, and is already working on her first project. She wanted to make a voodoo doll for her art class, and so I came up with my own pattern for a person. I have made so many amigurumi by making separate pieces for the head, body, arms, and legs, and decided to try making this one in a continuous piece.
It was my first attempt, and I am extremely pleased with how well it came out! In fact, I decided that this pattern can’t be for a voodoo doll, because it is way too realistic–it would be too creepy. So I was glad when she decided to make it a regular doll–apparently, too many people gave her weird looks when she said she was making a voodoo doll!
He looked so sad and naked sitting there, so I decided to make him a little trench coat. Don’t ask me why I choose such ambitious projects–I’ve never sewn a sleeve before in my life! I found a photo of a pattern and printed it out to be the right size, and then adjusted it so it fit him. I then sewed a prototype out of muslin. I’ll do pockets, and probably use ribbon for a belt, but I decided to keep it pretty simple because it’s microscopic.
MY FIRST SLEEVE!!
Right now it looks like he’s wearing a bathrobe, but hey, it’s a work in progress! Eventually I want to get a remnant of a dark blue pinstripe as well and I’ll make him a little suit… he can be the Tenth Doctor!!
Guess what? I finally finished my 3rd TARDIS, fixed up the pattern, and listed it on Etsy! So it’s out there in the big wide world. Want to see what it looks like? Why don’t you go check it out!
As far as the Dalek goes, I undid everything…again. I am going to try with knitting this time–I think that will work better for this shape than crochet. Anyways, I’m still working on it, I promise. At this point, I MUST finish, just because it’s been such a hassle. I am a Taurus, you know. ;)
Well, my family went up to my grandparents house unexpectedly last Thursday, and we’re still there. It’s been lots of fun, but I didn’t expect to be here so long, and didn’t bring much yarn. :( I did, however, have enough time to finish a yellow dragon for my friend and the black dragon I’ve been working on for a while. I don’t have a camera, so I improvised and used the camera on my laptop. I apologize for the terrible quality, but it’s better than nothing!
(The Dalek base is folded in half)
In other news, the Dalek is coming along okay… my first attempt looked good at first, but 1) I ran out of the dark brown yarn and 2) for some reason the proportions are WAY off. I want it to be accurate (12 sides, and 4 dots per side) but it looks too short. I decided that instead of crocheting the dots into the sides, I will use buttons or crochet dots to add later. Only problem… 12×4=48! That is a lot of buttons. I’m thinking of going to a thrift store and getting mixed buttons. We shall see what works best.
I have returned from my transcontinental trip! The potholders were perfect–I made enough for everybody, and it was a nice way to say than you to everyone.
While the trip was amazing, I am glad to be home–now I can work on whatever project I want to!! I am starting to create a pattern for a crocheted Dalek. We’ll see how it comes out. I’ve already had to redo some parts, and I’m trying to stay as close to the actual Dalek as I can, but might have to take a few liberties. This is the picture that I am modeling mine after. I figured it would be easier to copy a cartoon version, because it is already simpler than the original.
I am also working on a yellow dragon for a friend of mine. I’ll post a picture of all the different colors I’ve made so far when I’m done. I must admit, I always make two of each color so I can keep one. ^_^
And on top of all of this crafting, I am also hanging out with my cousins for two weeks. Boys, age 5 and 8. They are wonderful, but going to the pool/beach/park every ten minutes is not exactly conducive to much crocheting time. But I still have fun with them, so it’s all worth it.
I adjusted the pattern from Stitch London for the phone booth (used dark blue, not red) and knit myself a TARDIS.
Well, today was productive. I watched 8 episodes of Doctor Who (season 1) and almost completed my cardigan- only one sleeve and the buttonholes left!! Wow, that project went really quickly.
After 6 hours of Doctor Who (each episode=45 minutes) I am starting to think in a British accent.
Oh yeah, and I also never left the house today… :)