Pannier update…

Remember how I was going to sew a pannier/messenger bag? I found my messenger bag from last year, and realized that I really don’t need TWO messenger bags. So I decided instead of sewing a whole bag, why not do a sleeve to protect my laptop while it’s in my other bag? I found this super plush padding, about an inch thick, and started sewing. It was a pain in the tooshie–the thread kept breaking, the foot got caught in the fluff, my machine jammed, and it was difficult to maneuver because it was so thick. When I slid my laptop inside to test it (I had just sewn across the bottom) IT DIDN’T FIT!!! The bag was about 1/2″ too short. Thank goodness I wasn’t any further along–as it was, I was extremely frustrated.

But right then, I had a brilliant idea. I drew up my own pattern for a sleeve. However, I didn’t have any padding left. Then I realized that the laptop case I already have would be perfect. It didn’t work before because I couldn’t put anything else in the case, but if I put the case inside another bag, it works just fine. So I now have my own, improvised version of the one I was planning on making.

Ta da!






Captain America!!

So, I was wearing my new Captain America shirt… and realized it would be SUPER easy to crochet his shield! So I created a pattern for a hair clip, but it came out a little bigger than I expected. So instead I am going to sew it onto the pannier I am making!! I might try to make a smaller one for a clip, but I don’t know if it will work. The star was about as small as I could manage. I could use felt… but that depends on if I can find any felt in the house.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Pannier Party!!


So, I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a good pannier, but haven’t found exactly what I want… until I read the Craft email a few weeks ago. This pannier is PERFECT!!! It is a messenger bag/pannier/laptop case. And best of all, I have about 2/3rds of the materials already! I am so excited to start working on it.

And that dog is ADORABLE!!

In other news, my Dalek pattern is, well… at a standstill. It’s not coming out quite as I imagined, and I’ve had to frog-and-recrochet so many parts my hands were dying, so I’m giving it some time. I’ll come back to it when I’ve forgotten how cramped my hands were. I’m bummed, because I was really looking forward to the finished product, but that’s life. Not everything will come out nicely on the first try.